Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hike to Heart Lake in Yellowstone National Park

This trail is a small portion of the Continental Divide Trail going through Yellowstone National Park. I started at 7:30 this morning. The frost was heavy on the grass, the flowers have their kiss of death. So do the mosquitoes!
Just getting to the Lake is 7.5 miles, but its fairly level. My first view of the lake came after 4 miles.


I was really surprised by all the bubbling hot spots, the stream was bath water temperatures. I planned to take a break there, just to stick my feet in. Two guys ahead of me on the way back decided to skinny dip. The clouds rolled in, I felt pending snow in the forecast and gave up ideas of bathing in the wonderfully steaming water.

The trail winds through forest showing signs of fire about 20 years ago. This is normal Yellowstone eco systems. Everything is flourishing here, little chipmunks squeaking as I passed by.


Heart Lake is fairly cool. A group of four fishermen said hi, and continued looking for a deeper spot to fish. They had plenty of gear. Most people look pretty loaded with big packs. Its been getting down to 31 degrees at night, so warm clothes are key now.


The tree must be quite old. I took its picture, but didn't attempt to count the rings.


This little dude struck out at me when I passed. He looks like a grass snake, one of many I saw along the way today. I tagged the point I left the CDT two years ago at Lewis Lake, and tallied up my day hike at 19.5 miles.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful hike! Thanks for posting the pictures.

    ReplyDelete