Friday, March 4, 2011

May Your Miseries Abound

I found this quote by author and earth advocate, Edward Abbey.


May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--Edward Abbey
I have to admit, some of my greatest adventures and trail memories were filled with misery.
Those cold nights huddled in a 30 degree bag above 8,000 feet, wearing everything I owned, using ramen and shoes stuffed into a bag for a pillow.
Crossing a cold glacial stream while hordes of mosquitos munched away.

Busting through snow banks heading up to Whitney with ice in my smart wools, ice ax lessons notwithstanding, the abyss looking hungrily into my soul.
Those are memories.

Yeah, when things are going so well for mile after mile, a person tends to wonder if they've just zoned out or missed the turn.

Misery makes some serious memories. Never quit a trail in the rain. Sleep on that decision to abandon the dream. Eat a decent meal in town before you by the one way ticket home.

There's an old saying: the worst day on the trail beats the best day on the job.

Not sure how that works if you're unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment