Monday, March 21, 2011

Sleeping Bag Review-Making a Bag Liner

Yesterday I posted a complete review of my new Women's Casper 15 degree synthetic Sleeping Bag, from Eureka at http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com/
More links and photos are embedded there.



The bag lends itself to any weather because, as you can see in the above photo, I've laid it out to use as a quilt. The separating zipper prevents any stress on the lower portion. There is also a reinforcement triangle sewn in.




My trail testing took me through some marvelous Georgia forests, including creek inspections for future panning for gold.



Testing gear always involves checking sewing, evaluating options the designer added, and tactile impressions.

My first love came when I saw how well it fit me. This woman's bag also has extra fill in the feet and chest area.
I love the feel of the fabric, the colors are stealth and appealing. The rounded foot bed and chest pocket are great features.

I've decided to make a bag liner for this sleeping bag. I'll be taking this bag out west with me this summer, and a liner can be used inside or out side the bag to keep it cleaner. There will be nights under tarps, nights in high elevations spring into fall, and hot buggy nights.

I used a 1.1 ounce uncoated ripstop. Fold the 60 inch wide fabric in half, cut to the correct length. I made this one longer than the Casper Bag so it can go on the outside when I sleep under a tarp.




The finished product weighs 5.5 ounces and fits in a sandwhich baggie.





The fabric strips here, cut to 2 inch lengths, will serve as button loops. Cut the scrap created from cutting out the face opening into 3 inch wide strips. Fold into strips and sew down.




I used many of the same techniques I use for making stuff sacks: rolled seams, cornering the foot bed so it is three dimensional, incorporating a hanging loop.




I wanted it to be useful as a quilt, opening down the side, so incorporated button loops and buttons. You can just sew it all the way to the hood, if desired, and just slide it on.



Then, sewing the hood like the casing on a stuff sack, I inserted an elastic drawcord, and added a little pocket for that cord when excessive amounts were exposed, like when the hood is fully cinched up. This tiny pocket keeps excess cordage from getting tangled, or around my neck.




I love creating custom gear, and looking at gear because it shows how many possibilities there are for perfecting our collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment