Thursday, April 21, 2011

Keys to Contentment-the List

I've come up with a list to help me get through the upcoming road trip.
Not that I haven't enjoyed the last few I've taken, but what's that song that begs," I sure hope the road don't come to own me?"

I think it's a Carole King's So Far Away.

The list helps me put the whole picture into perspective, and I realize I used this same list when hiking.


1-Get in a quiet, undisturbed place, in your mind, or in a chair.

2-Verbalize or actually write down what's worrying me.

3-Think back to another worrisome time, like 3 months ago, what were the big issues?

4-Realize in 3 months, the worries of today will likewise be solved, and other things
will take their place.


The beauty of this process is I realize during step 3, I'm hard put to even remember what the worries were. I know there must have been some, no doubt I was likewise consumed with them. They got solved. Bottom line, as long as we keep on keeping on, all issues will be resolved.

It's hard to imagine its been a whole year since that oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico. Its been 5 weeks since the earthquake-nuclear disaster in Japan. This fall will mark the 10th anniversary of 9-11. Can it really be nearly 10 years since those trade centers fell?

Thoreau wrote, "My purpose in going to Walden Pond was not to live cheaply nor to live dearly there, but to transact some private business with the fewest obstacles;"

and this next part I'm still baffled by as he continued,

"to be hindered from accomplishing which for want of a little common sense, a little enterprise and business talent, appeared not so sad as foolish."


I'm thinking it means he also went into the woods so that he could actually be prevented by nature, because of his seclusion, from accomplishing some foolish boring job.

I just read they've discovered 647 new islands. Adventure is not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment