Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Perfect Day Pack

I made this black silnylon day pack which weighs 4 ounces. I use it everywhere, including all these day hikes in Zion National Park.



I can carry water bottles, rain clothes, tarp, survival in a can.



I found, however, that when the pack was loaded, those straps dug into my shoulders. Without a hip belt and forgoing the fannypack as pack rest solution, I realized a hybrid pack was in order.


I took a store bought day pack that I'd bought at Walmart a couple years back. It was lightweight, but the color, fabric and multiple zipper pockets was not ideal.

I cut off the straps from the silnylon pack, and sewed the remaining bag directly to the back pad, incorporating the hip belt and sholder straps of the walmart pack. I added a silnlyon bag for the front water bottle.


End result, a pack that weighs 12.4 ounces, and rides perfectly on my hips. The weight disappears.
Bottom line, shoulder straps and decent hip belt make life much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment