Monday, July 4, 2011

I Still Use Silnylon, not Cuben

Hi Carol,

I've been enjoying your channel. I wanted to ask you if you've had any experience with cuben fiber material for shelters. Cuben fiber seems to be the latest thing but not many videos out
                                                                   --D.


For all you readers,
I'm still using silnylon, 1.3 ounce silicone impregnated ripstop. Its lightweight, very strong, comes in many good colors.
Here's an exchange between a friend and I on YouTube videos.



Hi D,

I know a guy who sews it, Mountain Laurrel , and its very expensive stuff. The only colors available at the time (and with research) are not in my acceptable range. I do stealth stuff.

The weight savings are not that dramatic, in my opinion. Keep your gear sized to fit you, simplified in design and structure is my best advice.

best
Carol



Carol,

Well now you got me thinkin'. Cuben fiber is certainly very expensive. I contacted the material manufacturer and it seems the manufacturer has a tight grip on who received material and what its being used for. I'm not very good at rigging guy lines, so ... I might scrap the tarp shelter idea, however I do like your tarp shelter with a floor. It didn't seem to have all the stakes as those other tarp systems require.

Thank you for your reply. I've learned a lot from you.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment